Monday, May 18, 2015

A Transition Piece (Mostly About My Feelings)

A lot of people have been asking me about how the transition around here has been going thus far. In case you missed my last post, you can catch up here. Long story short, we now have six teenage boys in the Liddell house. Thanks to the monumental weekly grocery shopping, I think I may be getting teeny tiny biceps and triceps.

In regards to the kind of transitions you are probably actually interested in--as in, not how my arm gains are going--I will say that if every week during the summer goes like this week has gone, we are going to be a-okay. There has been minute drama here and there, but with nine people in the house, that's to be expected. The two boys who moved in from the McClendon house have adjusted really well thus far. Part of this could be because they are mainly thinking about getting school over with, or a host of other reasons, but I am thankful for their great attitudes and glad they are here. I like the feeling of our house being full. It feels like everyone is working as a team.

Honestly, my biggest obstacle today is figuring out how to get Adeline to stop saying "Crap!" every time she drops something. (P.S. I am definitely going to blame one of my six teenagers or my husband or one of her aunts and uncles and not myself for this problem). She also has learned the word "fart," and I know that wasn't me. I prefer for kids under the age of twelve to use the word "poot" or "toot" to describe gastrointestinal phenomena, especially if it's being discussed at Walmart.

I am breaking my train of thought here to tell you that we just had an angel and her little angels stop by and give us three paper sacks FULL of girl scout cookies. For free. So, as I happily munch on my Savannah Smiles cookies, I'll get back to what I was saying about transitions.

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect once we had six boys with us. My nervousness was mostly a result of feeling like I should be nervous, but I felt an overwhelming peace about the whole thing. If there is anything I have learned as a Christ follower, it is that God is God and I am not. Time spent worrying is often time spent wasted that could have been used for God to prepare me and teach me for what is to come. That doesn't mean I always apply this lesson perfectly to my life, it's just one that I have learned and relearn a lot. Our job requires a lot of flexibility and understanding who is in control (spoiler alert: it isn't me, and it isn't you). Sometimes, I operate best when I literally walk into a situation, simultaneously and mysteriously humbled and confident all at once, and say to myself, "I have no idea what I am doing, but God is God and I am not." That is how I have been operating all week. Confident in what God is doing, humbled that I get to be a part of it, and praying. Always praying for our guys.

Here is where I get to brag on the fact that one of our guys got an award for his great work in math at the school awards assembly. Considering the homework struggle in our house, this was really exciting.

Well, everyone, I just wanted to catch you all up on how things are going and how we are feeling. Or, mainly how I am feeling. Because I am all about feelings, I would go on, but I have to get started on the stuffed french bread we are having for dinner (psst, it has cream of mushroom in it, don't tell the guys).

No comments:

Post a Comment