Monday, May 2, 2016

The Kitchen | Paint & Panels

This photo is not staged! I successfully used a nail gun!
Okay, real talk. I'm writing this at the end of day four of potty training my toddler. I have been so vigilant that I am a little bit brain dead, so I want to update you on how the kitchen is going, but I am also not really on my game with this whole words-into-sentences thing. 

My brother is getting married this weekend, and Blake has finals next week, so I don't have a true gauge on how much more we will get done this week or next, but Blake and I hustled on Sunday and got quite a bit done (even with me having to break every five minutes to make sure no potty-training related accidents had taken place). 

Cutting in.

You can slightly see the color variation between the chimney (in the middle of the photo frame), which is white, and the walls, which is a very light gray.

Gray wall contrasted with white door frame at the right of the photo. The contrast is slightly more noticeable in person; there are design elements yet to be introduced that I think will tie it all together more. 

I don't know how well the color is going to show up on your computers/mobile devices, but we kilzed and painted the walls in the kitchen, as well as the rock from the old chimney (from when the furnace used to be in the basement). The kitchen is a very light, bright gray, and the old chimney and door frames are/will be painted white. 

It was pretty late by the time we got this far, but I don't want to take a picture showing off the paneling until after the whole ceiling is done. :)

We also started our ceiling, covering almost half with tongue-and-groove paneling. As you may have noticed in the earlier photo, I used a nail gun! Go me! Blake used it much more, but still. I can cross that off of my fixer-upper bucket list. 

Next on our kitchen list is laying the tile for the floor. Hopefully that will happen this week, but I can't be certain. I can assure you that I will be taking a blogging hiatus for two weeks to prep for the wedding as well as giving my full focus to potty training, and between these two things it is unlikely that much will be happening in the kitchen. 

If we can get this kitchen done by the end of May, I think we will truly be seeing the light at the end of the fixer-upper tunnel. Kitchen reno is not for the faint of heart, and no other project in the house feels as overwhelming as this one. Upon completing the kitchen, that will put us at about halfway done if counting by the amount of rooms done; if you're counting by square footage, I think it would not look quite as close. Thank you all so much for all of your continued support and words of encouragement! 

**Update**
When I got my haircut today, my stylist found paint in my hair. #fixerupperproblems 

No comments:

Post a Comment